9 Nov 2015

The preparations_Part 4 - Baggages

        Now that all necessary equipments are gathered and that the bike is ready, it's time to see how to locate it on !

        Apart from the two lateral panniers of about 30L each arranged with Carlos and the top-case (removable upper box) of 46L coming with the bike, I found in Touratech two watertight bags Ortlieb of 55L each to install on the passenger's place, and in Happy-Trail two little 5L bags foreseen to be hung to lateral motor defenses, ideal to store the tools and bring some weight forwards. Although I had renounced to the idea of installing anything on the tank because of the low available space - due to KLR tank's shape and high steering angle, I finally found at the last moment in Dafy-Toulouse a magnet-sticked 5L tank bag that fits perfectly, much easier to manipulate that a strapped one I must say.
I first though I wouldn't bring the top-case and install the two watertight bags one behind the other transversally on the passenger's seat and panniers, but the important quantity of luggages resulting from my first selection didn't let me other choice and it's finally one above the other that I installed these two bags, between the top-case and the few remaining available seat...




        I strived as far as possible to respect some criteria while determining each item's location among the various containers : vulnerability to shock and/or water and/or heat (the pannier near the exhaust is not the recommended one to place petrol reserves), frequency of use, rapid access needs (rain and cold protections, quick reparations, etc), necessity to optimize weight's distribution between left & right sides... A nice mess !
Here are some pictures off the resulting packs of stuffs to get into this containers set, to help you visualize the magnitude of the on-going Tetris party : a first kit gathers all maintenance material & spare parts, a second includes all camping items / electronic devices / books, and a last ends with all normal & moto wears... For those visualizing my huge dining table, each set of stuffs covered at least half of it. :P







        Finally, I wanted to bring with me a trekking bag in prevision of some unmotorized getaways (Machu Picchu, El Chaltén, etc) and for urban use, foreseen to enter in one of the watertight bags. Unfortunately, my very first tentative to distribute the stuffs revealed my laxness in their selection, leaving the trekking bag overflowing and outside of the watertight bags, themselves overflowing...




        I proceeded thus to the first lightening of a long oncoming serie, for this time limited to wears, reaching to halve the trekking bag's volume and make it fit into one of the watertight bags (by compressing a bit more the other one and the top-case).




        I must say that the quick weighing session of the resulting containers let me a bit perplex about this set's validity... But these last luggage's accommodation having occurred just the day before giving back my flat's keys and hitting the road for this trip - at least that's what was planned, I didn't have time to proceed with a test on the bike... Big error as I would find out the next day !




No comments:

Post a Comment